Wear How-To: The Power of Flower
I’ll admit it, upon taking a whiff of floral pants on the runways, they definitely reminded me of my mom’s loose and high-waisted dungarees circa the 80’s. Thankfully these new fitted silhouettes have enamored me to rethink the trend (and the vision of my mother sporting flowery “mom” jeans has since fluttered away).
[For the record, my mom's still purdy cool - check out her watermelon nail art, the woman's an ace!]
For me, skinny jeans ooze sex appeal and floral-printed skinnies are both hot and romantic, all at the same time. Another reason I love this trend is that it adds that extra oomph factor with ease and are totally versatile, even into fall.
Here are a few tips and tricks to properly rock the floral pant trend without looking like you just stepped off a time machine or fell into your grandma’s rose bushes:
- Stick to Skinnies. Skinny jeans will flatter your body best and can wear as classically as a pair of jeans if paired with a simple top and timeless jewelry.
- Tee Up Your Look: Opt for a solid tee if you’re looking for a more toned-down effect, but should you be in the market to edge it up a bit, why not rock a cropped tee? I love the whole cropped top thing that’s in right now, but, unless you’re at the beach or live in LA, showing off that much belly can be tacky… If you’re still psyched to give it a go and don’t want to go belly up, opt for high-waisted skinnies (or a not-too-loose harem cut) so just a sliver of skin is exposed.
- Blossom Balance: If you’re petite, you’ll want to go with a smaller pattern; if you’re tall, you can get away with a bolder, larger-scale design.
- Look At It Through Rose-Colored Glasses: Blossom into this trend with a vintage-washed, cream palate in muted roses, periwinkles and greens – that is if splashes of neon have you perennially seeking shade.
Here are some picks I would happily pluck, all under $100. This bud’s definitely for you!
1. Warehouse Tailored Pants in Print, $74.57 at asos.com
2. Carin Wester Plume Pant, $99.99 at urbanoutfitters.com
3. Linear Monologue Jeans in Floral, $64, modcloth.com
4. Rose Garden Pants, $48, boutiquetoyou.com